1. The Perfectionist - The Perfectionist is fixated in the sentimental area. Their positive side manifests as a person capable of solving problems, a perfectionist with compassionate understanding, organized, and conscientious. The negative side manifests as a person with angry moods, reflecting profound resentment, full of criticism, with a cold attitude and a sense of strictness and pickiness, and an inclination for manipulating others.
Ego Position: Self-Righteousness
Ego Balancer: "I am responsive and adaptive"
Examples: William Wordsworth, Barbara Cartland, Jane Fonda, Elizabeth Dole, Nancy Reagan, Joan Lunden, Prince Charles, C.G. Jung.
2. The Independent - The independent is fixated in the health and security area. Their positive side manifests as an open minded individual who is free-spirited and helpful, agreeable, polite, confident, and spontaneous. Their negative side manifests as a narcissistic and prideful person, who is militant and selfish and can be a disinterested loner.
Ego Position: Self-centered
Ego Balancer: "I am accommodating and organized."
Examples: Walt Whitman, Robin Leach, John Wayne, Hillary Clinton, Franklin Roosevelt, Ross Perot, Benjamin Franklin.
3. The Displayer - The Displayer is fixated in the creative area. Their positive side manifests as a productive person, who is efficient, possessing team spirit, truthful, articulate, and artistic. Their negative side manifests as a person who is superficial, bluffing, histrionic, and deceitful, and they are cunning schemers and show-offs.
Ego Position: Self-deception
Ego Balancer: "I am practiced and innovative."
Examples: Dante, Chekov, Willy Nelson, Michael Douglas, Jay Leno, John Kennedy, Colin Powell, Napoleon.
4. The Reasoner - The Reasoner is fixated in the intellectual area. Their positive side manifests as a person who is rational, intelligent, a witty debater, though with equanimity, literate, scholarly, and knowledgeable. The negative side manifests as a person who is melancholic, argumentative, envious, illogical, shallow, and moody.
Ego Position: Self-justification
Ego Balancer: "I am reasonable and informed.
Examples: John Milton, Ibsen, Lord Byron, O'Neill, Elizabeth Taylor, Joan Rivers, Richard Nixon, Boris Yeltsin, Queen Elizabeth, Stephen Hawkings.
5. The Observer - The Observer is fixated in the social area. Their positive side manifests as a humanitarian who is a communicator, full of charm, with a sharp wit, and an inspector's eye and awareness. Their negative side manifests as a social climber, meddling and avaricious, who can be phobic, anti-social, and cynical.
Ego Balancer: "I am sociable and self-sufficient."
Examples: James Joyce, Franz Kafka, Gore Vidal, Tolstoy, Arsenio Hall, Gorbachev, Steve Martin, Niels Bohr.
6. The Adventurer - The Adventurer is fixated in the work and activities area. Their positive side manifests as an innovative person, who is an achiever with courageous and strong determination and gallant loyalty. Their negative side manifests as a workaholic, who can fall into periods of inactivity, and can be cowardly, paranoid, fearful, and insecure.
Ego Balancer: "I am responsible and relaxed."
Examples: Hemingway, Chevy Chase, Dr. Ruth, Bill Cosby, Donald Trump, Churchill, Adenauer.
7. The Idealist - The Idealist is fixated in the position and authority area. Their positive side manifests as a wise person who is visionary, a clever organizer and planner, with an optimistic approach. The negative side manifests as an impractical dreamer, who is concerned with the superiority-inferiority game, and who can be gluttonous and immature.
Ego Position: Self-important
Ego Balancer: "I have confidence and self-respect."
Examples: Tennesee Williams, Bernard Shaw, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, George Bush, Sigmund Freud, Lenin.
8. The Moralist - The Moralist is fixated in the laws and morals area. Their positive side manifests as a person of high standards, decency, and ethics, who can be responsible, honorable, and possess great integrity. The negative side manifests as a controlling person, critical, cruel, lustful, and who enjoys sermonizing dishonestly.
Ego Position: Self-critical
Ego Balancer: "I am ethical and open-minded."
Examples: Robert Louis Stevenson, Michelangelo, Paul Newman, Jesse Jackson, Ronald Reagan, President Clinton, Jimmy Carter, Princess Diana.
9. The Seeker - The Seeker is fixated in the spiritual area. Their positive side manifests as a dedicated, self-realized person, who is loving and good-hearted, with a joyful and humorous attitude. Their negative side manifests as a skeptical person, full of doubt, gullible, and aloof, with an inclination toward idleness and lechery.
Ego Position: Self-pity
Ego Balancer: "I am spiritual and realistic"
Examples: Socrates, Goethe, Herman Hesse, Picasso, Richard Gere, Madonna, David Letterman, Jack Nicholson, Martin Luther King, Einstein.
source - http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/fo...0#.UcqOEvl4KfM